Subject Re: [firebird-support] Upgrading a database
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
At 06:58 30/03/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>I have a peculiar problem. We have revamped the database
>structure being used in our application, and the new design has
>to be created in the GDB file used by our app. The code for
>creating tables and views and SPs is all ready to be executed,
>in fact it does work alright. My problem is I don't want the
>old tables to continue in the new database. The code should
>create the new structure, run a few SPs which will copy data
>from all the old tables into the new tables, and the old tables
>should be dropped.
>
>However when doing that, because of the various dependencies the
>tables may not be dropped. What's the way out? Is there any
>order to be followed while dropping the database objects, say
>start with the SPs first, then go for views and then for tables?
>
>Is there any other way of doing this, maybe create a separate
>database with the new structure and import data from the old
>database into the new one, so I can simply delete the old GDB
>file? How would that be possible in an SP?
>

>-
>Anand

Hi Anand,

You could alter every SP/Trigger to be am empty SP/Trigger.

Then you could drop them all in any order, since there will be no dependencies,

drop every FK constraint.

drop every view

drop every Table

drop domains

drop generators

drop UDF's

You could not alter metadata inside SP's, you should write a "client"
program that will run the metadata updates or generate a script for you...

Hope I dont forgot anything...

The Database Admin GUI writters could shed some light on... :)

See you !

Alexandre Benson Smith
Development
THOR Software e Comercial Ltda.