Subject Re: Recycling the logfile (was: Re: [firebird-support] Troubels with Firebird 1.5)
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At March 24, 2004, 07:26, Martijn Tonies wrote:

>> > This raises another interesting topic though --
>> > Can the log-file be recycled?
>>
>> This is a great concern. I think there should be a configuration
>> parameter that would permit a user to set how big the log file can get
>> before it starts recycling it's contents. And, maybe have a default
>> between 100KB and 200KB.
>>
>> I think it should be a feature that is required(not just nice to have).

> I'm not sure how many errors fit in a 200Kb logfile :-)

It's not just errors in the log file, because even the guardian has
log entries when it's starting the server. I have 301 log entries in a
33.1KB file, but most of my entries are the guardian starting the
server, which is only represents 2 lines of text. By the way, this is
my development machine and it does get rebooted quite frequently. And,
this amount of log entries was accumulated over the past 12 months.

> But perhaps it can be archived as well after a single day.

Then this might require another thread on the server to manage this
archiving schedule.

> As:

> log1
> log0

> Where log0 is the current.

> Then, you would have a max of 7 days of logfile of 200Kb each.

If someone gets a log file of 200KB per day, I would start worrying.
Instead of a size cut-off, maybe a number of days cut-off! This way a
user could configure the number of days that a log entry will stay in
the log file. This way, it could be set to 7 days or even 365 days.
But, automatically archiving the log file should be an option that can
be turned off or on, and configurable to have only one archived log
file or more. And, that the archiving(if it is required) would only be
performed when an entry is written to the log file.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail