Subject Re: [firebird-support] FB1.5 - Installation Drives
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:36 AM 24/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Still having trouble accessing database on network server run with
>MS Small Business Server 2003. Have following questions:
>
>1. Is FB1.5 compatible with MS Small Business Server 2003?
>2. Firebird Quick Start Guide states that "you cannot locate
>components of the server, or any database, on a mapped drive, a
>filesystem share or a network filesystem". OK, FB1.5 Superserver has
>been installed on the network server and the network administrator
>has placed the database on a mapped drive (same disk different
>partition) for security reasons - this mapped drive (NTFS) is set up
>for all databases used by the company and their users.

A different disk or partition on the same machine is fine: it's only a
problem if you set up a mapped drive or a share on it and try to point the
network clients at the mapped drive name or the share.

Mapped drive <> partition. It's a configuration you can do on Windows
networks so that a certain user profile sees a particular disk tree as a
"server" to which their profile has certain rights. I don't know anything
about SBS but, if gives no option but to operate with mapped drives, then I
don't think the news is good for Firebird.

>I believe
>that to correct this situation, the database should be moved to the
>same disk as where the database server is installed but the
>administrator doesn't want to do this.

Of course not. Most sites have their databases on a different physical
drive to the one with the server software on it, for all sorts of good
(administrative/risk-reduction/etc.) reasons.

>Is there another way around
>this problem? I don't normally have contact with systems bigger than
>a few computers linked together as a network so I'm totally lost
>here when it comes to proper network servers.

You mention "proper network servers" in the context of the word "Windows"? <g>

Errrm, if the sysadmin gives you a choice, have your Firebird clients
connect with TCP/IP. The Windows Named Pipes protocol (sometimes wrongly
referred to as "NetBeui") is far too noisy and competitive for
client/server databasing.

/heLen