Subject Re: [firebird-support] INET/inet_error
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:51 PM 19/03/2004 +1300, you wrote:
>Helen Borrie wrote:
>
> >At 02:02 PM 19/03/2004 +1300, you wrote:
> >

> >>I am getting following error in firebird log I am using FB(1.5 final)
> >>server.
> >>
> >>INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
> >>
> >>What does this mean?
> >>

> >It's reporting a TCP/IP error, Host not Found. It means that your client
> >connection string is pointing to an IP address that the network can't
> >access - either it's a network node that doesn't exist, or it's firewalled,
> >or there is no routing for it in the network, or it's physically
> >unavailable, e.g because the machine with that address is down. Or maybe a
> >remote node trying to access localhost?
> >
> >Or - sometimes - just a break in the cable. :-) Someone moved the machine
> >and knocked the network plug out. In Barrys Point Rd - the contacts on the
> >card finally rusted through? :-)
> >

>It happened when I was using the app. I had made few bills and the
>suddenly this. Checked FBServer status it was running.

Then if the client didn't throw an exception it's nothing to worry
about. If the situation had continued and eventually caused a problem to
the client, you'd have seen an exception in your app. Then in the log
you'd see more messages, which you'd probably trace back to a 104 error
that could be indicating some kind of network breakage.

NB The server doesn't interpret network messages, it merely reports them.

/heLen