Subject Re: [firebird-support] INET/inet_error
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At March 18, 2004, 22:02, Helen Borrie wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 19/03/2004 +1300, you wrote:
>>I am getting following error in firebird log I am using FB(1.5 final)
>>server.
>>
>>INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
>>
>>What does this mean?

> It's reporting a TCP/IP error, Host not Found. It means that your client
> connection string is pointing to an IP address that the network can't
> access - either it's a network node that doesn't exist, or it's firewalled,
> or there is no routing for it in the network, or it's physically
> unavailable, e.g because the machine with that address is down. Or maybe a
> remote node trying to access localhost?

> Or - sometimes - just a break in the cable. :-) Someone moved the machine
> and knocked the network plug out. In Barrys Point Rd - the contacts on the
> card finally rusted through? :-)

Or, the application stopped without the user properly exiting it.

On Linux errno #104 means Connection Reset by Peer.

It's the equivalent of errno #10054 on Windows which is defined by:
[Start quote...]
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This
normally results if the peer application on the remote host is
suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network
interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see
setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote
socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to
keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations
are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with
WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.
[...End quote]

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail