Subject Re: [firebird-support] Linux Fedora Remote Connection Failure
Author Eddie Bush
Hi Austin,

Some time ago now, I ran the InterBase open source release on Linux. One thing I recall it having not done is to set itself up in the /etc/services file. In fact, I believe I had to hand-configure all the inetd stuff. I have no clue how sophisticated the Firebird install is on Linux - have not used it yet.

Perahps this could be the issue ... ?

Another possible problem is non-root users being unable to bind to a port less than 8000. You're running the server as root ... or at least starting it as root and then changing to a non-priviledged user?

Good Luck!

Eddie
----- Original Message -----
From: ggroper
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: [firebird-support] Linux Fedora Remote Connection Failure

I need a little help connecting to a Fedora Firebird 1.5 from a LaptopPC.

I can make a local connection and see the sample employee.fdb from the
Linux version of IBAccess. So I assume the Linux/Firebird install went OK.

From my remote Laptop, connected to a Cable Modem/ router I can ping
the linux server by name or by IP address.

When I try to connect with Widows Firebird Admin tools I get a
connection error - failed to establish a connection. Unreachable host.

When I try from a command prompt: telnet myserver 3050 I get an error
could not open connection to host.

I noticed in the firebird log file, that I get some error before
fibird starts up: INET/inet_error:connect errno=111.

I seem to have a good hosts file since my remote ping works.

The hosts.equiv has one line in it-localhost.localdomain

My Fedora box is a dual boot to win XP, on which I have a good install
of Windows Firebird, and I can connect and see all my Firebird
databases from my laptop.

Any ideas where to look next???

Thanks,

Austin