Subject Re: Linux Fedora Remote Connection Failure
Author ggroper
Helen,

Thanks for the help,

my PCLapTop (Windows XP client) has a hosts file with the IP Address
and server name:
192.168.1.10 myserver

I can ping from a dos prompt using:
ping 192.168.1.10
or
ping myserver

Both work OK.

This Laptop also has a Windows version of Firebird Installed, but not
started when I'm trying to connect to the Linux Server. I assume the
client stuff is installed OK on the Laptop. I was able to connect to
the dual boot machine when running Win XP.

What does the error in the Firebird log mean????
I get some error before fibird starts up:
INET/inet_error:connect errno=111
Could this indicate some critical Linux comm problems. I can use a
browser and email OK from Linux.

Thanks again,

Austin

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
wrote:
> At 12:18 AM 16/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >I need a little help connecting to a Fedora Firebird 1.5 from a
LaptopPC.

> >I can make a local connection and see the sample employee.fdb from the
> >Linux version of IBAccess. So I assume the Linux/Firebird install
went OK.

> > >From my remote Laptop, connected to a Cable Modem/ router I can ping
> >the linux server by name or by IP address.
> >
> >When I try to connect with Widows Firebird Admin tools I get a
> >connection error - failed to establish a connection. Unreachable host.
>
> Your Windows client should have a entry in its hosts file:
> nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn myserver
>
> Where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the IP address of the linux server and
myserver is
> the name it is broadcasting to the network.
>
> Then, your Windows tools should connect, e.g. to employee.fdb, with
this
> string:
>
> myserver:/opt/firebird/examples/employee.fdb
>

> >When I try from a command prompt: telnet myserver 3050 I get an error
> >could not open connection to host.
> >
> >I noticed in the firebird log file, that I get some error before
> >fibird starts up: INET/inet_error:connect errno=111.
> >
> >I seem to have a good hosts file since my remote ping works.
>
> Which hosts file? the one on the server, or the one on the client?
>

> >The hosts.equiv has one line in it-localhost.localdomain
>
> It's the tcp/ip local loopback address for the *local* machine (IP
address
> 127.1.1.0) and it's not visible to the network. Likewise, your
Windows box