Subject Re: [firebird-support] Linux Fedora Remote Connection Failure
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:18 AM 16/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>I need a little help connecting to a Fedora Firebird 1.5 from a LaptopPC.
>
>I can make a local connection and see the sample employee.fdb from the
>Linux version of IBAccess. So I assume the Linux/Firebird install went OK.
>
> >From my remote Laptop, connected to a Cable Modem/ router I can ping
>the linux server by name or by IP address.
>
>When I try to connect with Widows Firebird Admin tools I get a
>connection error - failed to establish a connection. Unreachable host.

Your Windows client should have a entry in its hosts file:
nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn myserver

Where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the IP address of the linux server and myserver is
the name it is broadcasting to the network.

Then, your Windows tools should connect, e.g. to employee.fdb, with this
string:

myserver:/opt/firebird/examples/employee.fdb

>When I try from a command prompt: telnet myserver 3050 I get an error
>could not open connection to host.
>
>I noticed in the firebird log file, that I get some error before
>fibird starts up: INET/inet_error:connect errno=111.
>
>I seem to have a good hosts file since my remote ping works.

Which hosts file? the one on the server, or the one on the client?

>The hosts.equiv has one line in it-localhost.localdomain

It's the tcp/ip local loopback address for the *local* machine (IP address
127.1.1.0) and it's not visible to the network. Likewise, your Windows box
has its own localhost address, not visible to the network.

/heLen