Subject RE: [firebird-support] Insert without referential constraints
Author C Fraser
One way to get around it, if you are not already doing it, is to allow NULLs
in one of the foreign keys, make your inserts with a Null, keeping track of
the ids, then do an update on the fields that you inserted NULLs into, all
within a transaction so it would all get undone if anything failed.

Regards
Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Martijn Tonies [mailto:m.tonies@...]
Sent: Monday, 15 March 2004 9:49 p.m.
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Insert without referential constraints

Hi,

> Is it possible to insert a bunch of records related to each other via
> foreign keys without worrying about the order of inserts?
>
> I've heard that with some databases it's possible to set up a
> transaction so that referential constraints are checked only at the
> end of the transaction. Is something like this possible with Firebird
> also?

These constraints are called "deferred constraints", something which
Firebird doesn't (yet) support.

It also doesn't support turning constraints OFF.

> Or would the only option be dropping the constraints before inserts
> and creating them again after?

That's the only way.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

Attention:
The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient then please do not distribute,
copy or use this information. Please notify us immediately by return
email and then delete the message from your computer.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.