Subject RE: [firebird-support] RE: At my wits end
Author Epstein, Ed
As for the assumptions 1,2, & 3 The data may be coming from more than one
client at one time. The data is also permanent. It never gets removed.
The data is reviewed in summary from the clients in different reports/views.
It is also heavily manipulated with near endless modifications to its
status. Only at some undetermined point is it moved off into another table
where it is archived. Even in the archived state it is still used in
reports and views, just not ever manipulated or exported. On frequent
occasion (4-5 times a week) large sets of data will be exported based upon
selection criteria. This is not a problem at all. I have used what has
been termed a "firehose" connection. Its very fast. I have offloaded 2
million records at around 5000 records per second to disk from a client.

As for the model, I fully and totally agree with you. However, I cannot
make this choice. Firebird/Interbase was chosen since the production
database for the other data services my company provides runs on either
Firebird or Interbase. I don't actually know. What I do know is that the
CIO told me that I MUST mantain this compatibility for them so that their
frontends can access my database as well. This started out in Access while
i was creating the database and frontend initially. I have 7 years
experience programming that. Its not too bad and works for small projects.
It even handled 15 million records quite nicely at first. Of course within
90 days the data requirements broke it :)

As for the 3rd party programs to get the data there initially that would
work and would have the neccessary speed I am sure. Its just that the
ultimate goal of my project is to eliminate the need for 3rd party programs
and make this easy enough that a trained person (even an executive) could
run the program without the need for an IT support staff constantly running
3rd party programs in the background while they wait. I would then be
assigned another project afterwards.

So the requirements of my job dictate that
1) Its interbase/firebird compatible.
2) the frontend does absolutely everything.
3) its easy enough to use that somebody that does not even know what CSV
stands for, could use it.
4) its fast enough to get the jobs done in the required amount of time. The
same day turn around on processed files. Currently only possible since I am
doing it manually.

I am in a pickle I think.

Edwin Epstein
> Continuity Partners Inc.
> 2753 S. Highland Dr.
> Suite 1010
> Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
> (702) 851-7850 Ext. 247
> eepstein@...

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer.