Subject RE: At my wits end
Author Epstein, Ed
I have been coding with VB6 and naturally have had many issues with working
with Interbase/Firebird etc. After much testing I decided to use
SIBProvider. Its very adequate for my needs. However, I need to move
500K-1M records at a time into the database and that has proven an near
insurmountable challenge ( I only say near since I still have a little bit
of hope). After coming to the obvious conclusion that the ADO and OLEDB
layers are slowing the transactions down, the obvious answer was to bypass
them entirely. Only 3 solutions presented themselves (largely in part to
this forum):

1) Use the API directly - Don't have the skill
2) Use an external program written to use the API - SQL scripts, import
engines like FBExport, etc. I really needed a way to do it internally and
they did not even reach an accetable speed.
3) Use external tables. This does not work since I would have to come up
with a method of delivering them to the server. This has proved to be quite
impossible due to circumstances that I cannot control.

I took the advice of this forum and paid to have a component written to
execute the SQL statements for me and use only the API to do this. No ADO
layers, etc. Just pure looped API statements.

This does EVEN worse than ADO and OLEDB. I received multiple testing
programs from potential coders and none of them could even break 100 tps,
let alone the 1500 tps i need.

So I am at my wits end here. Its got to be the server. So I just really
need to know if anybody out there is getting more than 1500 tps to their
Interbase/Firebird server and what their setup is. I love Interbase to
death, really I do. I cannot even change it if I wanted to. So basically
If I cannot find a way around this I will have to suck it up and tell my
company they they need to find someone else.

As you can see I moved from complete desperation to realization that is a
hell of lot more disturbing.

P.S - The specs on the server are as follows:

1 GIG memory
Windows 2000 (SP4)
Interbase V7.0.0.1
Dialect 3 database with 4,096 page size.
100BT network connection with a 100BT switch.

No other services running on the server. Purely dedicated to the database