Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB install questions.
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:51 AM 11/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Bush" <eabush@s...> wrote:
> > Larry,
> >
> > If you're trying to build a "desktop database" sort of application,
>you probably wanted Firebird-1.5.0.4290_embed_win32.zip. That's the
>distribution for the embedded server.

It is *not* the right place for someone to start if he is a complete newbie
on both Windows and Firebird. Sorry, Eddie, but that is a red herring to
this guy's problems.

>Thanks Eddie:
>
> It sounds like I've come full circle. I
>started with the embedded zip, loaded the
>server zip for the include files, have now
>run the installer, selecting the super
>server, but to not start the service.

If you ran the installer and you are on Win2K, XP or Server2003 then the
default would have been to install the service and start the server.

> What does the installer bring to the
>table? Does it add goodies a newbie
>like me, using the embedded server, will
>find useful?

Yes. No matter what architecture you use, they are all client/server. The
embedded server is a *deployment* option. Use the standard installation
and get your head around what it means to write a client application. When
you are ready, your very same client application executable will work with
the embedded server. If you use the database aliasing feature, you can
even "soft-code" the connection parameters into your app and just change
the alias when you are ready to being testing it out with embedded.

>Or should I uninstall firebird and use the zip kits?

Most definitely not. Stick with the standard installation so you can grok
the basics.

> I haven't had this assumption confirmed.
>As you have seen, my assumptions can be way
>off base.

True, it has been thoroughly observed. <g> Look, use the standard
installation. It might only take you a couple of days to write a "Hello
World" app. that connects to a database and does something world-shattering
to the employee database. Get it working nicely with the regular client and
a running server, everything in its default place. Then set up an embedded
installation with all of its custom bits and pieces of filesystem, change
the alias, and off you go.

> Laptop application, non-technical users
>who need the simplest installation possible.
>That's a good use of the embedded server,
>right?

It sure is. But learn to walk before you try to run.

/heLen