Subject Re: [firebird-support] How to import data from text files
Author Eddie Bush
Sam,

Can you convert it to fixed-length fields? If so, you could use it as an external table and select the data out of it into some other table. See DataDef.pdf for information about external files.

Unfortunately, I am aware of no way you could directly use Firebird alone to bring in delimited data. You could certainly build a quick and dirty application for the import though. I've had to resort to this before ... not the choicest approach, but it does work. Depending on how valid the data you're bringing in turns out to be you might wind up sticking some code at it to massage it anyway (I just love importing dates people have stored as text values - half of them are often invalid).

Regards,

Eddie
----- Original Message -----
From: rockwithme77
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 2:00 AM
Subject: [firebird-support] How to import data from text files

Hi,

How do I import pipeseparated data in text files to my firebird
tables. I am using latest 1.5. I tried IBPump but could not get the
DSN set up for use. It was a bit complicating for me.

Advanced data generator from http://www.Upscene.com requires each
column value to be in a separate line. This means a separate file for
each column I have ! Phew!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Sam.