Subject RE: [firebird-support] Good place to learn firebird.
Author Pieter Claerhout
As a newcomer to the world of FireBird, I find it a real pity that there is
no official documentation included in the FireBird download. Every time, I
see that we are redirected to the documentation of Interbase 6, which is
fine, but does miss the specific features that are only available in
FireBird.

If I compare to other database engines, open or closed source, you always
get a whole bunch of docs with it which make it a lot easier to get started.

Is there anything going to change for this in regards to FireBird 2.0? I
think that if we want FireBird to be more accepted in general, we need to
have good documentation in place that is freely available for everybody.

I can imagine that a lot of people are not willing to invest time or even
have the time to find everything out themselves if there is no official
documentation. I can imagine that this is one of the "big" reasons why
people prefer other database engines over FireBird.

I'm currently working on a FireBird based project that doesn't have a
deadline, so I can take the time to learn more about it while developing.
I'm sure that if I would have had a deadline for the project, I would
probably never have evaluated FireBird and would have used another database
engine.

Just my 2 cents.

pieter

[ pieter claerhout | pieter@... <mailto:pieter@...> |