Subject Re: [firebird-support] Can app using embedded FB 1.5 access multiple dbs?
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:43 AM 10/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:

>But the 'Firebird™ Version 1.5, Release Notes', in the 'Installing
>Embedded server from a zip kit' section says this: "You may run any
>number of applications with the embedded server without any
>conflicts. Having IB/FB server running is not a problem either. But
>you should be aware that you cannot access the same database from
>multiple embedded servers simultaneously, because they have
>SuperServer architecture and hence exclusively lock attached
>databases." If I read this correctly, multiple apps cannot access
>the same db, but it seems to leave open the possibility of a single
>app simultaneously accessing multiple dbs.
>
>I apologize if I have misunderstood these docs. I really do want to
>use FireBird instead of IB.

No, you've only gotten a little misled by the "market-speak" in the
Factsheet. The client inside embedded is the same client that's in
fbclient.dll. Write exactly the same client application for embedded as
you would write for the full server (except for the connection protocol,
natch). If you want to put two connection objects in your app, do so. The
embedded client will connect to both and the embedded server will serve
both. You can even include a tcp/ip connection out to a database on
another server if you want to - of course, you will have to provide for the
security protocol for that external connection.

/heLen