Subject Re: slow backup (fb 1.5 classic on linux)
Author ggroper

I backed up the structure of my data base and restored it with no data.

I used the IBPump.exe utility that I downloaded. It has a date of
11/1/2002. Maybe this is a problem and is not compatible with FB 1.5 ???
I pumped a small amount of data - about 300,000 records, rebult a
summary table and updated fields in the large table. This seemed to
work OK. I then did a database check and a sweep with Database
Workbench. All ok. I then used a DOS batch file to do a complete
backup and restore using gbak, this went OK and pretty fast. I then
deletede the rows in my two test files, the big table and a small
summary table created by a sql procedure. I re ran the back up and
restore for the empty data base all OK ready to go!!

The IBPump program ran the load of the full data set, 3.5 mill
records, in about 2 hours. This seemed faster than the MS SQL Server
utility. I next ran and update stored procedure to update two fields
in the large table, took about an hour and a half. I next ran a
summary procedure to create a new file, again slow but it finished.

I looked at the data, ran a few queries, slow but data seemed to be OK.

I next ran the DOS bactch file to back up the data base. It started
out and then stalled, I looked at the file as it was being created -
very very slow almost a hang- maybe 1 kb a sec. After two hours I
killed the job, rebooted and tried a back up from Database Workbench,
again it started off OK, but then slowed down at about 260,000 records
and seemed to hang there.

I looked at the data with a Delphi test program and Jason Wharton's
controls and all the data seemed to be there. The first query with
three parameters on indexed fields took over a minute to search
through the 3.5 million records, but changing the paremeters, closing
and reopening the query was sub second??? (Same query with ADO to MS
SQL Server was initially 4 secs and subsequent queriesw sub second
slightly faster than FB.)

So, I have data that looks good, executes slow, and may be corrupted.
It seems I can not do a sweep, or a backup????

How long do you estimate it should take to sweep? and a back up a
database with 3.5 million new records, and I guess 3.5 million new
updates??? Does 4 or 5 hours seem right or more like 30 minutes???

I assume that FB 1.5 is compatable with Database Workbench, and the
IBPump. May be not and there is some weird corruption.

Again, the WIN XP retore is turned off, the database extension is fdb.
I have a 3ghz PC with 1 gig memory, and two disk drives with over 10
gig each available on both drives. The FB database is about 2 gig
before a back up and restore.

Any ideas?? Maybe try again and pump from Database Workbench??

Thanks for all the help,


--- In, Aage Johansen <aagjohan@o...>
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:54:29 +0000 (UTC), ggroper wrote:
> > The MS Sql server data and the Firebird database were both pumped
> > MS Access. The both have the same tables and data.
> I guessed that - but couldn't resist.
> > I ran gfix and saw all kinds of corruption on the firebird database,
> > so I'm deleting the firebird database and will start over from
> If the corruptions can be recreated (on Fb/1.5/final), it would be
nice to
> have a description of it on the "devel" NG.
> My experience with some of the RC versions (of Fb/1.5) has been that
it is
> faster than 1.0 - both on backup and restore. Of course, this has
been on
> non-corrupted d

> Regards,
> Aage J.