Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: slow backup (fb 1.5 classic on linux)
Author Aage Johansen
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:51:43 +0000 (UTC), ggroper wrote:

> I used gbak from a command prompt to back up the data base from one
> disk drive to a second, afer 6 hours I killed the process. I checked
> frequently in the Windows explorer and saw that the backup file was
> slowly expanding - after g hrs it was around 50 meg.
>
> MS SQL Server backs up the same test database in about 5 minutes??

I'm impressed - MS SQL server backing up a Firebird database (and
fast). And on Linux!

Seriously:
Do you happen to know whether gbak was busy doing garbage collecting while
backing up?
You could try to include the 'No garbage collecting' option while testing,
or do a sweep before running gbak.

--
Aage J.