Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB 1.5 Crash
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:31 AM 4/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>precari0 wrote:
>
> >>server can only crash. But configuring the server in a way that
> > the system
> >>cannot possibly satisfy is NOT the best way to approach the
> >>problem...especially on Windows. If Win2K was able to manage
> > memory
> >>properly, you would never get the BSOD. But I get the BSOD on
> > Win2K with
> >>Word on a system with 1.5 Gb of RAM and oodles of "spare" memory.
> >
> > C4mon Helen. Don4t do that.
> > I do have to answer support questions myself, you know, but going
> > the easiest way, blaming windows, just doesn4t cut it anymore.
> > You4re getting bsods? Check the quality of your hardware and drivers,
> > check for viruses, just don4t tell me it4s windows' fault, please.
> > No IT professional, no matter how much he/she hates windows, is
> > stupid enough
> > to believe it.
>
>If you want reliable 24/7 operation, it can be achieved with
>Windows but it takes effort. Which is why we are NOW only
>using Linux on high load applications.
fwiw, I wasn't advising this character not to use Windows. The point I was
making was that, even with plenty of memory on board and a
Microsoft-branded Windows application, I'd experienced the BSOD on Win2K
with SP4 - meaning, I don't share his faith in Windows' ability to manage
memory.

My point (in response to the question he asked) was that it's tempting fate
to over-configure the DBCache---but more so on Windows, on a box that is
under-spec'ed for what he's trying to do with it.

However, as promised, I won't respond to any more of his emails, since he
has such unshakeable faith that memory is NOT the cause. :-)

/heLen