Subject Re: [firebird-support] Change Datatype (2)
Author Martijn Tonies
From: "Ann W. Harrison"
> At 11:11 AM 10/22/2004, Martijn Tonies wrote:
>

> >Firebird disallows this change because of the automagically
> >created indices for PKs. FKs can point to a PK.
>
> Hunh? A single firebird index can have both smallin and int
> values in it - no problem.

Never said it didn't. Nevertheless, you cannot change the
datatype when the PK is still available. I was sure about that
and I just tried it:

ISC ERROR CODE:335544351

ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
unsuccessful metadata update
MODIFY RDB$RELATION_FIELDS failed
action cancelled by trigger (1) to preserve data integrity
Cannot update index segment used by an Integrity Constraint

>Numeric indexes - except int64 due
> to an unfortunate implementation decision - are all double
> precision precisely to allow users to change the size and scale
> of numeric fields.

So my "list of things to do" still stands.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions