Subject RE: [firebird-support] Is Firebird a hoax?
Author C Fraser
You need to read some docs...

Start browsing at www.firebirdsql.org and www.ibphoenix.com (sounds like
you have seen these, but spend a bit of time looking through the
documentation and release notes).

Of course you can run Firebird on the Latest hardware and software...
Haven't tried it on Win server 2003 but I assume it works also...

By not supported it means 'doesn't take advantage of', not 'doesn't run
on'... Many, many people are running Firebird 1 and 1.5 (even though not
officially released) on today's software and today's hardware very
successfully and happily.

In the docs, you will find things like how to stop NT bouncing Firebird
from processor to processor on multi processor (or HT) PCs/Servers (not
a problem on Linux I believe).

You will also find that it is wise to disable system restore because
apparently MS in their wisdom decided that .gdb files (a common
extension for Firebird dbs) where system files and includes them in its
system restore process which slows things down...

These are a couple of the items which you might have confused as
'doesn't run on'.

Hope that helps...

Regards
Colin