Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: Database compress/purge
Author C Fraser
Ok... This statement scares me...

>> Not all possible error checks are made during backup. But, they are
all performed on restore, and most of the time, the restore process is
stopped when an error is encountered.

>>If you have an error in your database that is not manifesting itself,
in normal operations. When performing the backup, the error might not be
picked up. But, when restoring the database, there's a very big
possibility that the error will be noticed and the restore process is
stopped. So, if you didn't make a copy of your database before
performing the restore, at this point you might have lost your database,
because the backup can't be restored and your database is only partially
restored and might not be usable.

So, what you are in effect saying is that my backups might be totally
useless because I might not be able to restore them even though the
backup worked correctly...

So, say I had a hard drive failure (which we recently had), just because
I had a successful backup doesn't mean I am going to have a successful
restore? That makes my legs go wobbly (and makes me want to rethink
using IB/Firebird!). Please tell me it isn't true!

If it is, we are going to have to have to have a policy of restoring
every backup to make sure all is well... And then do some serious
thinking!

Regards
Colin