Subject Re: [firebird-support] Newbie Question: Is Firebird SQL really this weird or am I missing something?
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:51 PM 13/07/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>The only (minor) gripe I have is that the SHOW TABLES command in isql
>doesn't include the quotes around a table name if the table was created
>with them (my original post contains an example of this). I won't get
>burned by this again but I can't help wondering if this is a bug or by
>design?

It's not a bug. If you defined an object with quoted identifiers, ISQL
does show you the object in the case that you defined for it.

If you define an object in all-uppercase, with quoted identifiers, you can
refer to it in SQL without the identifiers. You can test this for yourself
with ISQL. If your first table was defined with qi and named "test" then
you can define another table named "TEST". When you do SHOW TABLES, you
will see

test
TEST

select * from test ---> error (table does not exist)
select * from "test" ---> OK
select * from "TEST" ---> ok
select * from TEST ---> OK

iow, if you see an object containing lowercase characters, then case
matters and you have to quote the identifier. Any object in all caps, it's
optional to quote, as long as you stick to all caps.

heLen