Subject Re: IB/FB and MySQL at low bandwidth connection
Author nvitya
--- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, Milan Babuskov <albis@e...> wrote:
> nvitya wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We are using Interbase 6.01 for our application and we want to
access
> > the data over the internet also. The performance is very good
over
> > the LAN but low over the internet.
> >
> > The client's connection speed is 512 kbit/s for download and 128
> > kbit/s for upload. This is quite fast, but not enough either...
>
> Try using ZeBeDee:
> http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee

What the real problem is cannot be solved with ZeBeDee, I think.
I installed TCPDUMP and wached running simple queries on MySQL,
PostgreSQL and Interbase 6.01 (and FireBird).

Here are the results:

TCPDUMP ANALYSIS OF PostgreSQL QUERY RUN:

query = "select count(*),'RESULT IS HERE' from test"

Start
client -> PostgreSQL, 45 bytes with the query text
+ 045 ms
PostgreSQL -> client, 79 bytes with the result and the column
headers

The total query time is 45 ms.

TCPDUMP ANALYSIS OF MySQL QUERY RUN:
------------------------------------

query = "select count(*),'RESULT IS HERE' from test"

Start
client -> MySQL, 49 bytes with the query text
+ 058 ms
MySQL -> client, 94 bytes with the result and the column headers

The total query time is 58 ms.

TCPDUMP ANALYSIS OF INTERBASE QUERY RUN:

query = "select count(*), 'RESULT' from test"

Start
client -> IB, 12 bytes
+ 065 ms
IB -> client, 32 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 8 bytes
+ 050 ms
IB -> client, 32 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 80 bytes with the query text
+ 059 ms
IB -> client, 64 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 24 bytes
+ 049 ms
IB -> client, 40 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 32 bytes
+ 083 ms
IB -> client, 236 bytes, most of it is zero and there is a text
"COUNT" twice
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 32 bytes
+ 110 ms
IB -> client, 408 bytes, most of it is zero and there is a text
"COUNT" twice
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 24 bytes
+ 048 ms
IB -> client, 32 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 28 bytes
+ 058 ms
IB -> client, 32 bytes
+ 000 ms
client -> IB, 40 bytes
+ 084 ms
IB -> client, 40 bytes with the text "RESULT"

The total query time is 606 ms.

If I use Interbase on my LAN the query time is under 2 ms because the
server responses arrive within 0.01 ms - 0.6 ms. But with my cable
modem the fastest ping times are around 30 ms. This means the minimum
Interbase query run time is 270 ms. The average is 50 for the tested
server so here the minimum query time is 550 ms (!).

if firebird.sourceforge.net ran Interbase server over the internet,
it would take me 2 s to run every simple query (because the average
server response time is around 217 ms).

So, don't use Firebird or Interbase over Internet if you can choose
PostgreSQL or MySQL.
Or is there any solution for IB/FB?

Viktor