Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: Maximum Capacity
Author Paul Schmidt
On February 27, 2003 02:44 pm, "Frank Emser wrote:
> --- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, Paul Schmidt <pschmidt@i...> wrote:
> > > 1.) Obvious solution: Incremental backups come to my mind.
>
> <...>
>
> > > 2.) The backup-process could probably record the changes done to the
> > > database whilst it was backed-up as well.
>
> <...>
>
> > Making a user wait 11 days for a restore, when it
> > costs the company $100,000 per hour that the system is down, is
>
> generally
>
> > unacceptable.
>
> Agreed. But if it is the restore-time you are worrying about,
> I would recommend to create a hard-disk-mirror-system as backup:
> You could create a shadow located on a second hard disk set or you
> leave rebuilding the mirror to some RAID 1-hardware.
> I confess, there is a samll downtime necessary at the moment when you
> replace the mirror-hard-disk-set with fresh hard-disks.
> Of course, it sounds completely unconventional to use hard disks as
> store-away back-up-media. But it is not my idea anyway. I read about
> it in the (german) computer magazin c't 1/2003, p.136.
> The basic idea is that a DLT-IV-tape with 40 GByte capacity now costs
> about 60-70 Euro, the same as a 80-120 GByte disk.

I think for much over 1 TB your going beyond the typical PC based server, and
your into RAID territory, for 32TB your looking at a super-computer, and the
machinery used can be quite different. For example an auto-loader tape drive
with hardware compression as a backup device. Now to deal with such an
animal you would need for Gbak to output to a tape device. Not sure if that
is possible now or not.

> As far as I can tell now, I would at least hesitate to create with
> firebird (or any other database system...) a DVD-movie database which
> not only stores the description and other information about the
> movies, but as well stores the dvd-movies themselves as BLOBs. ;-)

Now that would be cool, but you would need some serious hardware to run it,
and frankly a DVD collection, catalogued on a standard PC would be cheaper
and smaller.