Subject Re: [ib-support] GBAK question
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:47 AM 28/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>If I run GBAK and include garbage collection in the backup process, is
>this equivalent to running a SWEEP on the live database? In other words,
>does the database being backed up get garbage collected?

Yes. It's still a good idea to resume operations on a restored database
from time to time, as well, to free up space that was left behind by
deleted rows - sort of equivalent to a "database defrag".

>I'm trying to decide whether to schedule a SWEEP or a BACKUP (or both)
>every week on my database...

Sometimes you need both - depends a lot on how efficient your applications
are at moving transactions through to commit (and how stable your network
is and how well-behaved your users are...)

If you can get your gbak frequency right, and you can monitor things so
that you can run a sweep from gfix when needed, you can set the sweep
interval to 0.

heLen