Subject RE: [ib-support] GBAK question
Author Alan McDonald
when you say yes helen, surely you do not mean that the remaing gdb file has
had garbage removed. The option of garbage collection only removes garbage
from the gbk file which is created... No?
So if you do not collect garbage, the gbk file created from a backup
CONTAINS garbage but will backup faster than when garbage is removed. In the
latter case, the gbk file will be smaller.
Also, when garbage is removed and thus a smaller gbk file is created, the
restore process is faster (a little)

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Sent: Saturday, 1 March 2003 1:04 AM
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ib-support] GBAK question

At 08:47 AM 28/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>If I run GBAK and include garbage collection in the backup process, is
>this equivalent to running a SWEEP on the live database? In other words,
>does the database being backed up get garbage collected?

Yes. It's still a good idea to resume operations on a restored database
from time to time, as well, to free up space that was left behind by
deleted rows - sort of equivalent to a "database defrag".

>I'm trying to decide whether to schedule a SWEEP or a BACKUP (or both)
>every week on my database...

Sometimes you need both - depends a lot on how efficient your applications
are at moving transactions through to commit (and how stable your network
is and how well-behaved your users are...)

If you can get your gbak frequency right, and you can monitor things so
that you can run a sweep from gfix when needed, you can set the sweep
interval to 0.

heLen