Subject RE: [ib-support] FB Error and something strange
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:14 PM 27/02/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>I had similar problem with same messages (INTERNAL GDS SOFTWARE CONSISTENCY
>CHECK back version (291) ) pop up several times last summer. [snip] Other
>D3 (Pick-like) databases on same
>machine were also mis-behaving, so we concluded disk was failing, replaced
>disks, upgraded to FB 1.0, problem never came back.

Confirmed, I've seen consistency checks like this occurring on a sick disk,
that went away when a good, or not too severely corrupted, backup was
restored onto a new disk.

If it's a corrupt or damaged filesystem, it will be a worse and worse
problem the longer it is ignored, as the OS continues to black out damaged
areas of disk. Can you get the most recent restorable ****gbak**** from
your customer and try restoring it to another disk?

Still, I've also seen this consistency check where the damage wasn't
physical, but the result of using Winzip for backups. Even if you don't
use the zipfile for "restoring" the database, the Winzip program itself can
corrupt the database file if it is run whilst the database server is
running. So maybe you need to get your customer to own up, and find out
how long they have been compromising their system in this fashion. :((

heLen

heLen