Subject Re: FB Error and something strange
Author Michael Vilhelmsen <Michael.Vilhelmsen@M
See this was a problem we had about a year ago on another site.
It took us 2 months to figure out.

So, NO.
There runs a backup each night at 3 am.
This backup DOES NOT backup up GDB files.

Then to have a backup, I have written a small program, that runs as a
service, and each night at 23.00 it makes a Gbackup using GBak (via
TIBBackupService).
The backup file is then called *.GDK

And this file is backed up by Veritas.

Michael

--- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, "benno" <iblist@e...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does your client backup (and copy) the GDB file e.g. using some
streamer
> software, or are they told that they should never copy the database
and just
> backup the gbk?
>
> Benno

masterkey "BackupDB" "NEWDB"

> > Both of the above gave
> >
> > Unavailable database.
> > I then tried just connecting to the firebird via a program called
> > AdminTool.
> > Upon login I got a message saying:
> > Cannot locate service (or something like that).
> >
> > I was then forced to copy the DB from the server to the client PC.
> > On the client PC I (finally) managed to get my customer to install
> > Firebird.
> > Then LOCALLY i ran GFix -mend.
> > Completed telling med, there were 5 record error (Which means ?).
> >
> > After that I ran GBak -t -v etc etc. to make a backup of my DB.
> > It completed with no error.
> >
> > Then I have just started GBak -Create etc etc which is running at
the
> > moment.
> > But this is going to take forever to complete since the machine
is a
> > 300 MHz with only 64 Mb RAM and a slow HDD, but eventually it will
> > complete.
> >
> > What I don't understand in all this is:
> >
> > 1.
> > Why can't I run GBak or GFix on the server ?
> >
> > 2.
> > Why CAN i run GBak or GFix locally (of course because it all
works!).

> > 3.
> > Why does the error in the LOG appear (INTERNAL GDS
SOFTWARE ......) ?