Subject Re: [ib-support] 64 vs. 32-bit I/O
Author Jon Perez
""Jan Agermose"" <jan@...> wrote:

> sort of of-topic, but what is needed to have linux run 64-bit IO? If I run a
> std. Redhat 8 will it support it or do I need to recompile a kernel with
> some setting? Or is it simply a matter of using an other FS than ext3???
>
> Jan

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/kb/181

Not sure if this is up to date, but if it is, it's not a
simple prospect at all. Plus, if your network file system
is not 64-bit ready, there might be additional issues
related to file transfers (but almost certainly not related
to Firebird usage itself).

QUESTION: If you are not using a 64-bit ready I/O, is
it still advisable to install the 64-bit version anyway
(perhaps so you do not have to reinstall in case you migrate
to such)? Or will there be any performance penalties or
incompatibilities?

Also one has to ensure one the right version of glibc if
one wants to use the 64-bit I/O version of Firebird correct?