Subject Re: [ib-support] 64 vs. 32-bit I/O
Author Paul Reeves
Phil Shrimpton wrote:

>>I am not familiar with 64bit IO - Is'nt it
>>uses larger blocks for transfers with hdd controler?
>

> Somebody else will have to answer this one

And it won't be me. However, I should point out that when we (ie the
Firebird project) talk about 64 bit file i/o we just mean that 64 bit
file pointers are used for file access. It means that the server can
access files larger than 4Gb. The largest actual size is determined by
the file system used and will vary accordingly.

The Firebird usage of the terminology has absolutely nothing to do with
the hardware implementation of file i/o. That is a kernel thing.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com