Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: Interclient install help request
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Friday 14 February 2003 13:36, you wrote:

Hi,

> > Interclient is a reliic that is no longer being maintained.
> > Jaybird is the new Type 4 driver.
>
> Yes, I was told this recently. I am also trying to Jaybird to work,
> but unsuccessfully. I have posted to the firebird-Java site about
> the problems with Jaybird but have received no reply yet
> (thread 'Firebird, JDBC and Tomcat').

There are about 6 replies to you message

> The apparent advantage of
> InterClient is that I can test it with its utilities before I try my
> webapp.

You only need to 'test' it as it is a client/server app and need an extra
server process running, Jaybird on the other hand is just a client jar, that
can tested with a couple of lines of code (as in the release notes)

> > You have installed the version for JDK 1.2.x, if you want to
> > use 1.4, you will need to find one that has been compiled with
> > 1.4. (not sure if anyone has done that)
>
> Perhaps this is the root of my problems with Jaybird and
> Interclient. Should I try JDK 1.3.x with both?

Jaybird works fine in both 1.3.x and 1.4.x, but Interclient needs to use the
version it has been compiled with

> > You need to put the full path the database, not just the
> > folder, but what with the JDK issue, it probably won't work
> > anyway. I suggest you give the Jaybird driver a go.
>
> Would you put the database name in the "Interserver Host"
> and "Database file" fields?

Its been a loing while since I used IC, but if you are talking about the
'CommDiag' thing, I think the 'Host', should just be the servername (or
LocalHost), and the Database file should be the full path to you database
file (e.g. C:\MyDir\MyDB.gdb)

But as I said before you will need to drop down to JDK 1.3 and find a JDK 1.3
built interclient.jar from somewhere to get it to work.

I would try to stick with Jaybird, a lot easier to setup as there is no
server part, and no JDK version incompatibilites.

> I seem to be going round in circles with this problem. It seems that
> JSP apps can be very difficult to install from scratch.

..but once you have done it once, it is a 30 second job <g>

Phil
--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
11:35am up 31 days, 17:24, 1 user, load average: 0.40, 0.08, 0.03