Subject Re: [ib-support] FB over the net
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Wednesday 05 February 2003 12:02, you wrote:

Hi,

> I am currently doing some investigation into ways of allowing clients to
> query a data over the net

As well as the performance/security issues others have raised, with 2-300
concurrent users, you might want to consider using a 'middle tier' on the
server side.

This has a number of advantages...

- Users not connecting directly to FB (better security)
- You can implement connection pooling (better performance)
- The bulk of the 'work' will be done server side (better performance)
- You can 'compress' the result-set before sending back to the client (better
performance)

If you are using Delphi, this is not that difficult to implement, and if you
get you app server to send the 'results' as compressed ClientDataset packets,
you may not have to do major re-work on the client side, as you mentioned you
are already using MyBase files.

Personally, I would never directy connect clients to a DB over the internet,
regardless of what the database server is.

Phil
--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
10:25am up 22 days, 16:14, 1 user, load average: 0.31, 0.07, 0.02