Subject Re: Indexes once again
Author Svein Erling
It is never a bad idea to have a primary key!

What you should try to avoid is indexes resulting in lots of
duplicates. This is the reason why having foreign keys on lookup
tables sometimes is discouraged - such an index would not matter for
the lookup table, but the table referencing the lookup table would
have lots of duplicate entries slowing down at least updates, deletes
and selects.

A selectivity of 0,16 is not bad if your table contains 6 records. On
the other hand, if your table contains 100 million records, then even
a selectivity of 0,01 is lousy and you should not create any index
referencing a lookup table with 100 elements (1 divided by number of
records in table is the ideal selectivity).

Where to put an absolute limit for whether you should create a foreign
key or not? Well, I haven't got a clue and I think answers to your
question will vary according to the size/complexity of
tables/databases that people are accustomed to work with.

Set

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Tabakov <saho@e...>