Subject Re: [firebird-support] Backup Firebird on Linux from Win XP
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:18 AM 13/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I've just port over my FB database from Win 2000 to Linux RH9. All
>my applications work fine except backup and restore processes. I
>used TIBBackupService and TIBRestoreService to accomplish the two
>processes in Windows environment but they are not running on Linux
>complaining that the backup file could not be opened. I think that
>is due to different file system because I used Win XP as my client
>to run the backup process.
>Just wonder if there is any chances to backup the FB from my Windows
>client application.

I haven't looked at the components closely but, since IBConsole is built
with them, they should be capable of doing the equivalent of gbak -se

To back up my Linux dbs on server coolduck from win I do this (command-line
tools installed on win client and assuming that sysdba has write privs on
the destination filesystem):
c:\Program~1\Firebird\bin\gbak -b -se coolduck:service_mgr
/data/sample/lstore.fdb /data/sample/lstore.fbk -user sysdba -password xxxxxxx

So probably the issue is to find out how TIBBackupService, etc. implement
the Service Manager remote interface...or alternatively, to have your app
shell out and run gbak from a command file. If you don't get any answers
here, you could inquire discreetly at
borland.public.delphi.database.interbasexpress

Not sure I'd be cosy about restoring backups remotely, tho'.

heLen