Subject Re: [ib-support] Will Firebird/Interbase always be free?
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
Firebird is based upon the Interbase version that Borland released under
IPL a few years ago. I would be very surprised if they had left an
opportunity for us all to close it again (if so, I guess they would have
exploited that already). There's too many of us depending upon Firebird for
it to cease to be developed, but that is just my own opinion and I cannot
guarantee anything. However, since the source code is freely available,
anyone can just start digging into the source code to change whatever (s)he
wants.

Some of us were here before Interbase got open sourced and got a shock back
in 1999. We would not like to experience the same with Firebird and the
only way I can think of to kill Firebird is to create another free database
that is far better (which is not an easy task).

What is more likely to cost you a bit is components for development. Myself
I use IBO, a great tool available for Delphi and C++, but not free. IBX may
not support Firebird in the future, so you will be left with fewer options
if things have to be free (but there are some left). And then of course, if
you lose critical data and have no good backup, you may have to pay IB
Phoenix to help you get back your data.

You can read the license at www.ibphoenix.com and see if that gives you the
guarantee you want.

HTH,