Subject Re: [ib-support] How to use "Direct File Access" or "Local Access Method"
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
At 07:56 26.09.2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to evaluate Firebird/Interbase for use in a standalone
>Windows application, but have not been able to firmly establish that
>it is possible to embed the database engine directly in an
>application.
>
>By "embedded" I mean that the database engine executes "in process"
>with the application. What I am after is that the application be able
>to connect directly to the database files without going through
>ibserver or any other external processes.
>
>Is it possible and how is it done???

The Firebird engine must be running, so no - you cannot access the file(s)
directly without running the engine. And you really shouldn't install the
engine without asking the user, just in case IB 5.6 or whatever already is
installed on the machine.

>Is FB/IB overkill for these types of standalone applications?

It sure sounds like shooting a mosquito with bazooka...

>Are there other open source databases that are better suited?

Most likely, even though I have not used any.

HTH,
Set