Subject RE: [ib-support] How to use "Direct File Access" or "Local Access Method"
Author Alan McDonald
No, you cannot do this. IB/FB is a server. it stands alone as an
installation.
-----Original Message-----
From: lipsmcbugler [mailto:lipsmcbugler@...]
Sent: Thursday, 26 September 2002 17:56
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ib-support] How to use "Direct File Access" or "Local Access
Method"

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate Firebird/Interbase for use in a standalone
Windows application, but have not been able to firmly establish that
it is possible to embed the database engine directly in an
application.

By "embedded" I mean that the database engine executes "in process"
with the application. What I am after is that the application be able
to connect directly to the database files without going through
ibserver or any other external processes.

This would be similar to SQLite, but with the advanced features of
FB/IB.

The article Securing your Firebird/InterBase Installation
By Mark O'Donohue 21st January 2001
(http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?
a=ibphoenixApp&l=;IBPHOENIXAPP.PAGES;NAME='art_fb_security')
mentions that it is possible to perform I/O directly on the database
files using "Direct File Access" or "Direct Connect Mode".

Another hint is in InterBase Architecture: SuperServer vs Classic
(http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,23217,00.html) wherein
a "Local Access Method" is described for the Classic architecture

Is it possible and how is it done???

Will it work in Windows for which only the Super Server arch. is
available?

Is FB/IB overkill for these types of standalone applications?

Are there other open source databases that are better suited?

Regards,

Lips.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor