Subject Re: [ib-support] Granting Rights to Roles does not work in Firebird
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:21 AM 09-09-02 +0000, you wrote:

>When I try to grant rights to roles in Firebird, nothing happens.
>
>In some cases the SQL statement to grant the right seems to execute
>normally, but after checking for the rights, nothing seems to be
>updated.
>
>In some cases I get an error stating that the role does not exist.

That tells you that the role doesn't exist (! ) If you think it should
then look at whether you committed work after creating the role. If you
are using one of those tools that enforces case-sensitive identifiers, use
SHOW ROLES in isql to check whether you are using the correct case.

>In others I get the error that the action is not permissible on
>system tables.

That's true. Only the SYSDBA or the database owner can access the system
tables and dem privileges can't be given to other users.

>Using the WITH GRANT OPTION also gives a syntax error.

So look for your syntax error that you gave to the server...

>Can anyone show me a working example or is my version of Firebird,
>1.0.0.821 Win32 simply buggy?

Look for the bugs in your SQL or your user setup. Show us details of both
and we can help you find a solution. Look at the examples in the manuals -
if you are using the InterBase manuals, you'll have to search around the
indexes of all the books, unfortunately.

heLen