Subject RE: [ib-support] Re: WRONG PAGE TYPE IB6 ODS10
Author Alan McDonald
Some light reading
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenixApp&l=;IBPHOENIXAPP.KNOWLEDGEBA
SE;ID='320'
Now when the last person disconnects (and you are watching the filesystem
directory), you will notice the database receive the current datetime stamp.
It is always best practice IMHO and in my experience, even if you are sure
that noone is connected, to gbak the file and not copy the physical file.
When you say often move the location - how are you sure that noone is
connected?

As an "agent" if you have none, use
net stop "Interbase Guardian"
net stop "Interbase Server"
in a batch file before the scheduled tape backup, then net start "Interbase
Guardian" only command after the backup, you'll be sure of getting a file
copy of the gdb file without connections... BUT it's alway best practice to
instead do a gbak of the database before the scheduled backup and ignore the
gdb file in the backup routine. Only backup the gbak file.

When you say the backups have not been good - How do they know? Have they
ever tried to restore a backedup gdb file - Is that how they know? If so -
therein lies the reason for the corruption.

You should also think about scheduling regular (e.g. once a month) backups
and restores in the same operation, to flush the garbage out and restore
some nice shape to your database.

Alan