Subject RE: [ib-support] Interbase disconnecting all clients
Author Paul M.
Thanks for your help, everyone.

Basically, this is his first IB project, and, although I have done a few,
I'm no IB expert.

Anyway, it seems that he HAS mapped the server's drive, and that he is
accessing the IB database file through this map. I'm going in on Monday to
check the setup, as I suspect (as someone suggested) that he has the server
running on all machines. If this is the case, it's a little odd that it
seems to work (probably only a matter of time...).

When he switched the clients to access via the IP address (eg.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:e:\thepath\theDBfile.gdb), the system crashed several times.
Someone told me that if you access IB using two different protocols, it can
lock out the clients, which I think is what's happening here, due to the
fact that he was also accessing IB via a small app on the server, just using
the path.

Now, the comment has been made through this group that using an app on the
server to make backups of the database at specific intervals is a bad way to
do it. Can someone please explain what is wrong with this approach? ie. the
app uses the Backup component from Interbase Express to perform the backup,
rather than copying the file etc. What is gbak.exe, and why would it be
better to use it?

Thanks heaps for your help on this, and I appreciate your responses.

Regards,

Paul Matthews
ProSouth Technology Solutions
P.O. Box 5191, Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND
FreePhone: 0800 IT SOLUTIONS (0800 487 658)
(International Callers: +64 3 453 4976)