Subject Re: [ib-support] FB crash
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:17 PM 08-05-02 -0300, Daniel Rail wrote:

> >What puzzles me though, is what is the difference between
> >localhost:c:\aaa\wa.gdb
> >127.0.0.1:c:\aaa\wa.gdb
> >???
> >Surely these a functionally equivalent?
>
>These are the same, but I don't think Helen was talking about localhost
>when she mentioned local connection. Remember that there is a local
>protocol for connection to Interbase and Firebird which is different than
>using the TCP/IP protocol to connect. For the local protocol, you simply
>need to provide the pathname of the database(i.e.: c:\aaa\wa.gdb) as the
>connection string.

Oh dear, this is getting totally confused...

to be clear, it is my belief that the original questioner's problem came
from his 8 threads all being propagated from a *windows local* connection,
which is NOT thread safe. So I advocated that he use tcp/ip local
loopback. Let's get clear of this windows-local connection - it is not
feasible for multiple threads. Local loopback uses tcp/ip; local
connection doesn't; local connection and local loopback are NOT equivalent.

As to the question of whether the server "localhost" and the IP address
"127.0.0.1" are equivalent: yes, they are. However, in some Winsock
implementations, "127.0.0.1" is resolved initially as a string, not as an
IP address. This can slow things down, on these older Winsocks, but they
will both eventually resolve to localhost.

Helen

All for Open and Open for All
Firebird Open SQL Database · http://firebirdsql.org ·
http://users.tpg.com.au/helebor/