Subject Re: [ib-support] insert in Firebird
Author Nando Dessena
C R Zamana wrote:

> > Check that you are preparing an INSERT statement, and then simply
> > assigning parameters for each row inside a loop. You are probably
> > having the server recompile each statements, this would explain a
> > lot of your performance problems.
>
> No, there is no preparation. The question is that the
> application was linked with a library that was made to be
> very generic.

then you are going to have trouble; my personal experience and that of
many people I know is that you just can't expect IB to behave the same
way as the competitors; it's just architecturally different and must be
treated in a particular way.

> I know that this is not the best approach for a batch process. But the
> question is that this same "approach" works very well with Oracle,
> without any tunning.

I have had the chance to appreciate that almost anything "works very
well" with Oracle; it will just take whatever is thrown at it and
perform acceptably at the very least. This is not true for InterBase,
which is much more difficult to handle.
I believe Lester is right when he says that you'll need some major
rework to get acceptable speed in heterogeneous environments.
Anyway, I think that many of the suggestions in this thread can give you
some benefits.
Ciao
--
____