Subject Re: [ib-support] Connect to DB from Procedure ??
Author Damian Dowling
At 09:47 08/08/2001, you wrote:
>At 09:20 AM 08-08-01 +0100, you wrote:
> >At 07:44 08/08/2001, you wrote:
> > >Is there a reason why you can't have your application make a
> connection to
> > >the other database through the client, as usual?
> > >
> > >regards,
> > >Helen
> >

> >I need to be able to log updates to another DB and was hoping to do it in
> >Stored Procedures - it would make the solution more portable to other
> >server platforms. Looks like i am stuck with UDFs.
>
>Why?
>If your app opens a connection to another DB, why can't it pass parameters
>from your main database to a stored proc on the other database? I really
>DON'T recommend a UDF to implement this, especially if you are planning to
>port it cross-platform.
>
>Helen

I need the logging to be independent of the program, to log all reads,
updates, etc from all programs. One of the requirements is the logging of
what was read by a user even when they are using a 3rd party reporting tool.

If i stick to pure C when coding the UDF i should have very little porting
problems.

Thanks

Damian Dowling
IT Manager