Subject Re: [ib-support] Questions about RC1 and installation build
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:59 AM 17-11-01 +0100, Paul Reeves wrote:
> > Are there any legal problems with using this and distributing it to my
> > customers? I'm particularly concerned with IBConsole and the ODBC
> > driver. Is it OK with Borland to distribute these? Don't they still
> > own these?
> >

>IBConsole is available under the same licence as InterBase so you can
>redistribute it.

Agreed.

>I am not quite sure of the precise legal status of the
>Intersolv ODBC driver. I believe that it is freely distributable and, indeed,
>is being freely distributed. If there were any issues with it we would have
>heard by now.

I believe the InterSolv ODBC driver is NOT freely distributable except with properly licensed copies of InterBase 5.x. The fact that this driver is all over the place does not mean it can be deployed commercially without fear or favour, IMO. For darned sure I would be asking Borland before I deployed it commercially...and I would not want to be the one who told an open source deployer it was OK just to go ahead and do so.

regards,
Helen