Subject Re: [firebird-php] Problems with PHP 5.3.3 on Gentoo Linux
Author Lester Caine
Matthias Hanft wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>>
>> Just to confirm Matt ... all your code works in 5.2?
>
> Yes, exactly. I had PHP 5.2.12 running for a pretty long time.
> Then, I upgraded to PHP 5.3.3, restarted Apache, and... crash!
> Downgraded to PHP 5.2.14 (sources for 5.2.12 weren't available
> any more), restarted Apache, and everything was fine again.
>
> Is the sequence
>
> $db = ibase_connect(...);
> $trans = ibase_trans($db...);
> $prep = ibase_prepare($trans...);
> $res = ibase_execute($prep...);
>
> correct, after all? (At least, it has been working for years...)

Looks fine to me ...

>> My code is working on 5.3, so it is a matter of determining where the
>> problem
>> has slipped in from.
>
> I guess there must have been some problem with the Gentoo implementation...
>
> BTW, starting PHP from the shell reads:
>
> PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib/php5/lib/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/pdo_firebird.so' -
> /usr/lib/php5/lib/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/pdo_firebird.so: cannot
> open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
>
> but since I don't use PDO, it doesn't matter anyway...

Same here PDO is just a dead end if you NEED to manage multiple databases ;)
I've killed PDO altogether on the production machines so I do wonder if that
'error' is part of the problem? Should be isolated extension, but it would not
be unusual for someone to have introduced a problem since a lot of the time
things just don't get tested. That was one of the problems with the 'blob' bug
in early PHP5.2 releases.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL