Subject Re: [firebird-php] Jumping in the wagon
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Lester Caine wrote:
> Alexandre Benson Smith wrote:
>
>> I have just subscribed and this is my first message to the group.
>>
> Trimming a little to the meat ;)

Should I put a disclaimer at the and of my message that it should not be
trimmed ? :-)
> I'm on my second 'framework', the first worked well enough 4 years ago, but
> newer developments left it behind. If I was starting now I would probably have
> a look at Delphi4PHP,

What I have heard about Delphi4PHP is not good :-(

> but given the code base I already have it's not a
> sensible approach.

I have no code base, so I have the benefit to choose anything :-)

> Basically, there is probably a package that does what YOU
> want off the shelf, and if it doesn't then modifying it is always an option.

Yep, but as I said on my message, I have no knowledge to look at some
piece of code and make a conclusion about it quality.

When I look and RoR I thought, "hummm.. this looks good", but when I
tried to do my first tests I hated the coding standards used (and forced
to be used), I dig down the code, change something here and there to
adhere to *my* coding standards, but anyway that does not fit well.

> What ever we suggest will probably not be right for you, but I'm more than
> happy with what is running my websites and commercial systems, and PHPEclipse
> to actually develop the new code.

I know that "one size does not fit all", what I am asking is more a
guide about if the adoption of a framework is a good decision for a
start, and if so, what frameworks did you used (or analyzed) along the
years. To my eyes everything I had looked at looks to fit :-)

You experienced PHP coders could say something like:
"You can choose any mainstream framework, it will help you on the first
steps, but you will need to do a lot of customization when your project
becomes something that could be called a "real project", so don't
bother, choose anything that the website looks good and move along"

thanks...

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith