Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Can Firebird run on internet server ?
Author John Zoetebier
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:57, Rick Fincher wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> By "run on an internet server" I presume you are asking if you can
> access a Firebird database via the net on an HTML server to see data in
> a web page. If so, the answer is yes, but support for that is not built
> in.
>
> One way of doing this is to use a servlet and/or JSP (Java Server Pages)
> server like Tomcat. It can act as you web (html) server and servlet
> server. If you have another preferred web server program, most can be
> configured to to pass the reqse you requests for your database stuff to
> Tomcat or other JSP/Sevlet servers.
>
> This is usually a better setup for accessing the database because you
> can prevent access to your database by outside systems, except through
> your JSP/Servlet program.
>
> When set up this way, the URL is a standard web page URL. JSP pages
> typically have a .jsp suffix instead of .htm or .html. As in
> http://www.yourdomain.com/yourpage.jsp
>
> Your app server makes the database call, builds the web page and sends
> it back to the users browser.
>
> If you don't want to go through the effort of learning how to program
> that stuff you can use a program like Dreamweaver MX from Macromedia.
> When you build your web application with Dreamweaver, you tell it that
> the app is going to run on a JSP server. You then drop the JayBird
> driver in a folder in Dreamweaver's mail folder and give it the username
> and password of the database. You visually build the web pages you want
> and the program will generate the web app that you can drop into Tomcat
> or other JSP server programs.
>
> Those type of code generationg programs are a little restrictive for
> some, but you can use Eclipse, Netbeans or other development tools to
> generate web apps too.
>
> Rick

Thanks Rick,
I should have expressed myself more clearly.

The reason I am interested in Firebird is because of its ability to issue an
event alert.
The database may have to run naked on an internet server, i.e not behind a web
server or application server.
The JDBC URL of firebird includes the full path to the database like in:
jdbc:firebirdsql://localhost:3050/opt/quasar/company/Transparent.fdb

The bit after 3050 is the path to the database.
Someone may require the system I am working on to run over an internet
connection, in stead of on a LAN.
The firebird URL works fine on a LAN, but not when the database is hosted on
an internet server.
Virtually all other database servers I know do not include the physical path
to the database in their URL.
Is there a different URL format to access a Firebird database on an internet
server ?

--
John Zoetebier
http://www.transparent.co.nz