Subject Re: [IB-Java] RE: Re: Status of Firebird interclient
Author Alan Wright
> Very nice website......especially the "Lessons Learned" page.

Thankyou

> My reasoning for wanting to run IB on win2000 is that I can rent a dedicated
> server from www.valueweb.com for $395/month. Also, my unix/linux skills are
> rusty.

I may be wrong but I suspect you could get a better deal for renting a Cobalt
box in the States.

> So are there business / technical reasons not to use win2000 in a production
> environment?

We just didn't feel comfortable about trying to remotely manage a windows box.
All of our experience prior to this project was with either Mainframes or NT4 so
we had no linux skills to be rusty! For us it was NT4 or Linux as Win2000 was
was just too new for our liking. I had Win2000 on my latest PC and took it back
to NT4 after the machine kept locking up. Probably a video driver or something
rather than the core OS but who needs it. To be honest I haven't a lot of
experience with Win2000 so it may have new and better remote management tools,
but as a developer I know that software needs a good shakedown period - heaven
knows they are still releasing patches to NT4.

Good luck

Alan