Subject Re: [IB-Java] licensing the test suite? (was Re: Interclient bugs?)
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:37 AM 10-08-00 +0000, you wrote:
>--- In IB-Java@egroups.com, Frank Emser <FrankEmser@g...> wrote:
> > > Honestly I can't understand why
> > > Inprise not simply releases them to the public. Can you tell us
>why?
> > >
> > Well, I am not the one you adressed.
> > However, I leave it to you to judge whether
> > you would consider the quotes below
> > to be a valid answer to your question...
>
>The licensing model would mean that I as an independent contributor
>wouldn't be allowed to use the test suite, right?
>So I had to obtain a licence for the test suite in order to do
>(unpaid I might add) _open source_ development???
>This is insane and not acceptable. I for one will quit my work if
>this is how it turns out. I am not going to ask somebody to do some
>testing for me without having the chance to do it myself either -
>step through the code and see what happens and so on.
>I don't mind somebody doing tests on code that I intend to contribute
>- fair enough. But I need to have a means to do the tests on my own
>before giving something out.
>
>Torsten
It is important for you to state this, especially here where Shaunak is
watching. We're really depending on the R & D people to put the case for
the Open Source coders to have the TCS for this completely legitimate
purpose. It's not as if we are asking them for favours. All we are asking
for is the essential pieces for driving the development forward.

We are counting on R & D to argue this for us.

Helen

http://www.interbase2000.org
"Ask not what your free, open-source database can do for you,
but what you can do for your free, open-source database."
(J.F.K.)