Subject Re: [Firebird-general] A question that (sort of) touches on Firebird.
Author Ann Harrison
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM, plinehan <plinehan@...> wrote:

> How come I can administer a 64 bit database server with
> 32 bit applications? The other way round, I can get,
> but I'm confused as to why the admin tools that I used
> didn't get, err... well..., confused.
>

> Could some kind soul explain this phenomenon to me?

Expanding a bit on Dmitry's message. Firebird 32 and 64 bit databases are
bit for bit identical on disk. The network protocol and API's are also
identical. The processes are different, allowing for much more memory use
in 64 bit applications, but all communication, including communication by
writing and reading disk blocks was designed to be common to the two
architectures.

Cheers,

Ann